You won’t miss the beef in this vegetarian version of the classic Italian favourite!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup minced onion
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers
- 1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley
- 1 egg, beaten
- Preheat oven to 375°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Heat oil in a small skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and sauté for 1 minute. Add tomato paste and cook for 1 minute more.
- Transfer to a food processor with walnuts, rice, roasted red peppers, breadcrumbs, Parmesan, parsley, Italian seasoning, and egg. Pulse until combined, but not mushy.
- Form into 8 equal balls and place on prepared baking sheet. Cook for 12 minutes or until firm to the touch. Serve with California Walnut Pesto or Muhammara Sauce.